Monday, May 30, 2011

What's For Dinner: Low Carb Chicken Enchiladas

So the big problem with meal planning is that I have to not only figure out what I can eat that will be within my allotted carb limit and have plenty of vegetables and protein, but that I have to come up with something that my picky toddler and my even more picky husband will eat.

So I created yet another spreadsheet.  This time with slots for Mom, Dad and Chloe and a meal assignment for each.  It's a little crazy but so far it's working well.


I have to start with a meal that Hubby likes.  Tonight, it's chicken enchiladas.  So what I'm trying is to load some veggies (bell peppers and green chiles) into a casserole dish and cover with shredded chicken.



Next I'll pour over a mixture of Cream of Chicken soup, sour cream, diced onions and diced green chiles. I'm reserving some for later to top Hubby's enchiladas.  Then I'm covering with cheese.  COC soup has 25g carbs per can, so I have to take this into account.  I'm guessing each casserole is ending up with about 18g carbs from the soup so I'll have to do the math when I portion mine out later.



Next, I'm baking in the oven for awhile just to cook the peppers and get all the flavors to combine.  I'll remove from the oven and reheat once it's time for dinner (I'm prepping this early.)

I'll serve the mixture in some whole wheat tortillas, then top with the reserved sauce and extra cheese for hubby.  I'll try one of these tortillas I found today, with a great net carb:




So that's what's for dinner tonight.  I'll report back how it was after we eat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment